Stroller Buying Guide: Umbrella Stroller vs. Regular Stroller
You will love to go for a walk with your baby in an umbrella stroller! You must have seen parents taking their babies for an outing in this type of stroller, as they are quite popular. Umbrella strollers not only look amazing but they also come with numerous benefits for you and your child.
Before the umbrella stroller was invented, parents had no options other than using the regular strollers for an outing with their babies. Regular strollers are still the main stroller used by parents these days. They provide some features that cannot be matched by an umbrella stroller, such as storage space and comfort and safety for newborns. However, they are heavy and big. Even going for a simple walk around the park can turn into a tiring and difficult activity. Folding, transporting and pushing a regular stroller can easily drain your energy.
|1||Baby Trend EZ Ride 35 Travel System, Doodle Dots||$159.99 $124.00||Check Price Now!|
|2||Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Easy Fold Compact...||$69.99 $64.37||Check Price Now!|
|3||Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Travel System, Millennium...||$199.99||Check Price Now!|
|4||Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller, Phantom, 50...||$129.99||Check Price Now!|
|5||Jeep Unlimited Reversible Handle Stroller, Grey Tweed||$109.99||Check Price Now!|
The umbrella stroller was invented to provide comfort and simplicity when going on an outing with your baby. It is lightweight and easy to move around with your baby inside of it. The materials used are so light that even grandparents can easily take their grandkids for a stroll. The name of the umbrella stroller comes from the shape of the stroller on top of which there is a hood to cover the baby from direct sunlight and rain. Besides that, it also looks like a lawn chair.
Both regular and umbrella strollers have their own advantages and disadvantages. Below, you will find a comparative study between the two types of strollers that will help you to pick the right product. Let’s have a detailed account of both product types.
Regular strollers are available in several varieties and you can adjust the type as your child grows. Here you will get an account on the benefits and disadvantages of a regular stroller.
- Regular strollers can fully recline so they are safe for newborns.
- Many regular strollers can detach their seats. This is especially useful when the baby is sleeping and you don’t want to wake her up. You can simply detach the seat and take her inside the car or the house without much disturbance.
- If you are going for a long trip, using a regular stroller is the best idea as it has enough room to keep diaper bags, drinks, snacks, and other essential things that your kid may need along the journey.
- There is often a compartment under the baby’s seat which gives you even more storage space for baby essentials or to store some groceries.
- The major problem with regular strollers is that they are heavy and large. This size may help you to have some storage in it, but it makes it difficult to move, especially when you are in a crowded area.
- If you are a single parent and taking your kid on a trip in a stroller, it is really difficult to move the stroller over extended periods of time because of its heaviness.
Once the problems with regular stroller became so vivid, the inventors realized there is a need for a lighter version of it. In 1965, the first umbrella stroller was developed and since then it is serving parents and their children. These strollers come with a foldable aluminum frame and are much smaller than regular strollers. Here are certain advantages and disadvantages of an umbrella stroller.
- Umbrella strollers are smaller and more lightweight than regular strollers. Storing and transporting them is much easier and comfortable.
- As this type of stroller can be folded into a small size, you can easily carry it in your car while going for a long trip, or carry with you if you are away from home.
- Umbrella strollers are much more affordable than a regular stroller. So, if you are running on a tight budget and still want to buy a stroller for your child, you can go for an umbrella stroller.
- The main problem with the umbrella stroller is that it is not spacious enough, so parents don’t feel comfortable to carry bigger children into it.
- Most umbrella strollers do not fully recline, the baby has to ride in a sitting up position This means it’s not suitable for newborns or babies who cannot hold up their heads. It is recommended to use an umbrella stroller only when your child is at least 4 months old.
- Umbrella strollers have very limited storage space, so you will need to take an extra bag with you on your outings.
Buying Guide for Strollers
Regular and umbrella strollers are both excellent choices for parents. There is not a right or wrong choice, as it really depends on your personal needs out of the stroller. If you want a lightweight, more affordable, easy to fold and easy to carry stroller, the umbrella stroller is the choice for you. If you need a stroller that is long-lasting, durable, and safe for newborns, the regular strollers are your choice.
Regardless of your choice, you need to follow a thorough buying guide to buy a better product. Here are certain buying tips that will help you to pick the right product.
Pay Attention to the Safety
There are lots of considerations you need to make while buying a stroller, but this is the most important one you need to check out. You need to make sure that the product has JPMA certification. Besides that, you also concentrate on certain things, like:
- The stroller doesn’t tip at the backside if your baby is lying on its back in the stroller.
- Always buy a stroller with the wide base as that won’t tip to the sides of your baby leans over.
- Make sure there is no large opening which can cause slipping through of your baby.
- Buy a product that comes with a five-point harness system.
- Check out if there is an area where your baby’s finger can get caught.
Make Your Budget
You can research a bit to find a good product within your range. Usually, umbrella strollers are cheaper than regular strollers so you don’t need to get too worried about your budget. Now, check out the online sites to have an idea about different prices and find out that fits within your budget.
Buy According to the Usage
This is the next important thing you need to consider while buying a stroller. If you are a person who has to take your kid more often with you wherever you go, you should go for a top-quality product that comes with enough durability. Such products give you more mechanical features, like sturdy wheels, strong frames, lightweight, and so on.
If you want to use the stroller for traveling purposes, then you can go for a material that makes the journey more comfortable for the kids as well as for you. While buying strollers for this purpose, you should go for the one that has shock-absorbing capacity while running on different terrains, and also a compact design that helps to store it simply. For umbrella strollers, make sure they come with shoulder straps that allow you to easily carry it when you’re not using it.
Choose the Right Material
Usually, umbrella strollers are made of aluminum and plastic. If you are buying a stroller for the first time, go for the aluminum frame as those are super lightweight and easy to carry. Try to avoid the plastic frames as those are not as durable as aluminum ones and you have to pay repeatedly to fix the joints as those are quite fragile.
Pay attention to the Storage Space
This is the next thing you need to consider while buying a stroller. Some mothers need to take their babies while going shopping or visiting someone. In that case, you also need to carry certain essential things for your baby, like diaper’s bags, food, drinks, towel, etc. Instead of carrying those in a separate bag in your shoulder, it is always better to have some storage space in the stroller. Regular strollers come equipped with additional storage.
However, you can also buy an advanced umbrella stroller that will come with side pockets, basket under the seat, etc. You can keep the essentials there.
Regular or umbrella stroller, make sure you don’t hang shopping bags from the handle of the stroller. It can hamper the balance of the stroller and it can tip at the backside.
Buy a Stroller That Can Be Folded Easily
If you are going for a long trip, you will need to carry the stroller for your baby. Check out those types of strollers that you can fold easily and carry it in your car.
Buy According to the Age of Your Baby
Those strollers that recline completely are good for the newborns and you can use those till your baby is 3 months old. For the toddlers, you can buy convertible strollers and umbrella strollers are best for them. If you have two babies of nearly the same age, a double stroller can be the perfect choice for you.
These are certain buying tips you should take into consideration while buying a stroller. Take your time to do some research and read first hand user reviews of various products to get a more accurate picture of the stroller you wish to buy.
Benefits of Buying a Stroller
- Ease of transportation. Carrying your baby all the time is strenuous, especially when you are carrying bags as well. A stroller can help you move easily with your baby without additional stress.
- The lightweight and comfortable seat provides a cozy place for your baby when you’re going out. They will find it entertaining to sit and move with their parents wherever they go.
- As the strollers come with numerous safety features, you do not have to worry about the safety of your baby while on the move. Before going on the market, all strollers go through rigorous testing to ensure they meet the standards in terms of health and safety.